"Freely following the motto „It's all about being there!“, it is important to the organizers to promote the German choral scene, to give them a chance to finally stand together on one stage again and to present choral singing to the public with new strength."
Deutsche Chormeisterschaft 2022
Who will be the first-ever German Choir Champion?
In 2022, the first German Choir Championship finally gets underway!
As INTERKULTUR's first national choir competition, exciting festival days are in store:
The competition will be held in several categories and the best choirs of each category will then be allowed to compete once again in the final competition for the title "Deutscher Chormeister 2022" (German Choir Champion).
The city of Koblenz as partner of this event is centrally located and easy to reach for participating choirs from all over Germany. All venues are within walking distance of each other, so that concerts and competitions can be easily followed.
Be there and become the first German Choir Champion!
The German Choir Championships is a meeting for all choirs in Germany and we are happy that all your voices will resound in Koblenz. Step onto our concert stages with your choir and show everyone: We are back!
You are cordially invited to join us in Koblenz in October! The event will again offer the German choral scene the opportunity to meet, get to know each other and enjoy the common choral experience.
For non-competing choirs
- three pieces of the choir's choice
- performed before a panel of qualified international jurors who provide immediate positive artistic and pedagogical advice for improvement
- certificates of participation will be awarded, as well as evaluation ratings and recommendation letters for future competitions upon request
Number of singers: unlimited
Singing time: maximum 15 minutes
Duration: 45 minutes
For competing choirs
- presentation of the competition program the day before competitions begin
- the evaluation does not involve preliminary decisions regarding the competition result
Number of singers: according to category rules
Singing time: according to category rules
Accompaniment: according to category rules
Duration: 45 minutes
- Category 1 - Mixed Choirs
- Category 2 - Male Choirs
- Category 3 - Female Choirs
- Category 4 - Children's Choirs
- Category 5 - Youth Choirs
- Category 6 - Sacred Choral Music
A detailed description of the competition categories can also be found in the booklet available for download:
Participant Information [German](1 MB)
The jury reserves the right to nominate up to two choirs per category to participate in the Champion Competition. The winner of this competition will receive the title of "German Choir Champion 2022" endowed with a prize money of EUR 2.000.
- Program: Two freely chosen a cappella pieces. One of the two pieces may not have been performed by the choir in the competition performances of the event. Both pieces must be confirmed by the Artistic Committee.
- Singing time: The singing time should be maximum 8 minutes.
This event lies in the past!
You are interested in participating in this event series? Then have a look right now at our overview, which provides information about when the event will be held the next time. There you can also find further dates and destinations of our events taking place worldwide.
Join the INTERKULTUR newsletter
Festivals, Choir Competitions, Sing Along Projects: Learn more about special performance opportunities with the free INTERKULTUR newsletter.
Friday, October 21, 2022
- Evaluation Performances
- 20:00 Opening concert, Florinskirche
Saturday, October 22, 2022
- Rehearsals and stage rehearsals
- Morning: Competitions in the Town Hall
- Afternoon: Competition in the Herz Jesu Church
- 19:30 Competition for the German Choir Champion and award ceremony in the Rhein-Mosel-Halle
Sunday, October 23, 2022
- Evaluation Performances
- 10:30 Workshop "VOICES & WINE" (for registered participants only)
Subject to change!
After the efforts of the competitions, you are cordially invited to spend the final day of the German Choir Championships with us in an exuberant mood.
Situated on the Moselle and Rhine, the oldest wine region in Germany, Koblenz has established itself as a wine city with its approximately half a million vines. So there can be no better place for a convivial day of singing and wine. With wonderful hymns to wine in tow, there will be singing together and local vintners will invite you to wine tasting.
A musical, culinary finale that will remain in your memory for a long time.
Förderverein INTERKULTUR e.V.
In cooperation with
City of Koblenz
With the friendly support of
Artistic Directors Deutsche Chormeisterschaft 2022
Willi Becker, Artistic Director
Prof. Dr. Ralf Eisenbeiß, Honorary Artistic President
INTERKULTUR Executive Committee
Dr. Christoph Wirtz, Secretary General
Organizer is the Förderverein INTERKULTUR e.V.
The ‘German Corner’ with its emperor, the Electoral Palace, kilometres of waterfront promenades, Stolzenfels Castle, the epitome of Rhine romance and the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress overlooking the city. The spectacular cable car over the Rhine, the wine village, the Forum Confluentes... And much more: Koblenz is not only one of Germany’s oldest cities but also one of the most diverse.
Churches, castles, palaces and historic town houses tell the story of past times, while winding streets and squares invite you to stroll around and relax. The vineyards and Ehrenbreitstein Fortress also provide incomparable views over the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, keeping the romance of the Rhine alive.
We congratulate all singers to their great results! All in all 7 golden and 4 silver diplomas were awarded. Many thanks to all choirs and ensembles for participating!