Choirs are looking forward to the big Opening
Parade und Opening Concert for the festival’s beginning in Kalamata
Today the 1st Kalamata International Choir Competition & Festival 2015 will be official opened. We are looking forward to welcoming choirs from all over the world for the first time in Greece.
The festival starts with a colorful choir parade through the inner city, to which all people from Kalamata and from the surrounding are cordially invited. The parade’s starting point is the Cathedral Church Ypapanti. From there the 39 participating choirs will move towards the Central Square, sing and introduce themselves in traditional costumes. Musical support will come from some Greek Brass bands, such as the Kalamata Philharmonic Orchestra. We expect a colorful, sounding choir parade with lots of spectators. At the arrival point, the Central Square in Kalamata, the international singers will be officially welcomed.
At the Opening Concert this evening at 21h in the Tenta Sports Hall 7 choirs from 4 continents will invite their audience to a musical journey around the globe:
- Children's Choir of the Municipal Conservatory of Kalamata (Greece), conducted by Ioannis Matzaris
- Byzantine Music Choir "Choreuma" (Greece), conducted by Konstantinos Siachos
- Manolis Kalomiris Choir (Greece), conducted by Nikolaos Maliaras
- Coral da UNB - Universidade de Brasilia (Brazil), conducted by Éder Camúzis
- China Sheo Choir (China), conducted by Qi ShanYun
- Solovushka (Russia), conducted by Tatiana Sedelnikova
- Academy Singers (Austria), conducted by Manfred Payrhuber
All choral lovers are cordially invited to listen to the voices from different nations of the world. Entry for the concert is free.
Under the direction of the Executive Artistic Director Christian Ljunggren all choirs will perform two pieces of the Greek composer Mikis Theodorakis together: „Mésa stis thalassinés spiliés“ and „Sto perijiali to krifo“. The big choir will be accompanied by the Kalamata Popular Orchestra and the pianist Loukas Georgas.
We are curious about the first auditory impressions we will receive at the Opening Concert and the Singing Together.
So let’s start and celebrate the festival of music!