"Thank you once again for organizing such a wonderful event. Above all my singers learned so much from being exposed to so many different cultures! I am sure that they will remember last weekend for many years to come. It has been an honor and privilege to participate in this festival."
Concorso Corale Internazionale
Lucca is a source of inspiration for choristers from all over the world: This city of art-historical significance in Tuscany gave birth to great musicians like Giacomo Puccini, Luigi Boccherini, Alfredo Catalani and Francesco Geminiani.
For four days the historic center of Lucca will host the new choir competition "Vox Lucensis" in spring 2022 and voices of choirs from all over the world will resonate in an enchanting affiliation of music and songs of different cultures. A great opportunity for artistic improvement and an experience to reverberate for a long time!
The Conservatory "Luigi Boccherini " and the church of San Paolino provide perfect conditions for competition categories of secular and sacred music as well as for pleasing evening concerts. Also the Auditorium of San Romano and other precious churches in the city will be available for concerts.
Apart from the choir competition you also have the chance to experience the rich culture and beauty of Tuscany. World famous cities like Pisa, Florence, Torre del Lago Puccini and Massa Carrara are just a stone’s throw away from Lucca.
Welcome to Lucca, a city that has made music its main artistic expression in the world, a universal language that crosses borders and speaks to the hearts and minds of all people.
We cordially invite you to join choirs from all over the world to make the beautiful city of Lucca resound. And enjoy the exciting fusion of voices and music of different cultures amidst the rich culture and beauty of Tuscany during the first International Choral Competition Vox Lucensis.
We look forward to seeing you!
This event provides you the opportunity to choose from the following options of participation:
|Non-competitive participation||Competitive participation|
|Festival participation**||Competition categories*|
friendship concert performance included
* at least two performances included
- Category A – Difficulty Level I a cappella
- A1 – Mixed Choirs
- A2 – Choirs of Equal Voices
- Category B – Difficulty Level II
- B1 – Mixed Choirs
- B2 – Choirs of Equal Voices
- Category C – Chamber Choirs & Vocal Ensembles a cappella
- C1 – Mixed Voices
- C2 – Equal Voices
- Category G – Children's & Youth Choirs
- G1 – Children's Choirs
- G2 – Youth Choirs of Equal Voices
- G3 – Youth Choirs of Mixed Voices
- Category S – Musica Sacra a cappella
A detailed description of the competition categories can also be found in the booklet available for download:
Participant Information(1.9 MB)
Participating choirs may register to perform together with other international choirs. Choirs must prepare approximately 15 minutes of their own music pre-approved by the artistic committee. The concert should be preferably a cappella or with own instruments. Piano or digital piano can be provided upon request.
Choirs can also take part in friendship concerts only.
The respective category winners are invited to participate in the competition for the Grand Prize. The jury reserves the right to nominate further choirs for participation. The winner of this competition will receive the Vox Lucensis Grand Prize 2022 - endowed with 1.500 €.
- Program: two freely chosen a cappella pieces which may not be the ones the choir had already performed in their whole competition program. Those two pieces must be confirmed by the artistic committee.
- Singing time: the maximum actual singing time is 8 minutes.
"Thanks for a wonderful well organized festival and competition, congratulations!"
"Thank you for the precious memories you offered to all the members of the choir."
This event lies in the past!
You are interested in participating in this event series? Then have a look right now at our overview, which provides information about when the event will be held the next time. There you can also find further dates and destinations of our events taking place worldwide.
Join the INTERKULTUR newsletter
Festivals, Choir Competitions, Sing Along Projects: Learn more about special performance opportunities with the free INTERKULTUR newsletter.
Saturday, April 9, 2022
- 18:00 San Paolino Church: Opening Concert
Sunday, April 10, 2022
- 10:00 San Paolino Church: Competition category S
- Afternoon Rehearsals and touristic programs
- 18:00 San Pietro Somaldi Church: Friendship concert
Monday, April 11, 2022
- 9:30 Luigi Boccherini Conservatory: Competition categories B1, B2
- 10:30 Luigi Boccherini Conservatory: Competition categories G2, G3
- 12:00 Luigi Boccherini Conservatory: Friendship concert
- 15:00 Luigi Boccherini Conservatory: Competition category C2, C1
- 18:00 Luigi Boccherini Conservatory: Friendship concert
- 21:00 Church San Paolino
- Holy week Concert - Leonardo Leo's Responsoria
- Collegium Vocale et Instrumentale "Nova Ars Cantandi", conducted by Giovanni Acciai
Tuesday, April 12, 2022
- 10:30 Luigi Boccherini Conservatory: Informal meeting with the jury members
- 17:00 Luigi Boccherini Conservatory: Grand Prize Competition
- 18:00 Luigi Boccherini Conservatory: Awards and Closing Ceremony
All events will be organised in compliance with the Italian Covid-19 regulations in force at the time.
Subject to change!
If you are interested in individual excursions please send an email to travel(at)interkultur.com.
In cooperation with
Associazione Coro Voci Bianche Cappella Santa Cecilia di Lucca
Municipality of Lucca
ACT – Associazione Cori della Toscana
Artistic Directors Vox Lucensis 2022
M° Giovanni Acciai
M° Sara Matteucci
INTERKULTUR Artistic Committee
Prof. Dr. Ralf Eisenbeiß, Honorary Artistic President
Fred Sjöberg, Senior Artistic Director
Johan Rooze, Artistic Director
Assoc. Prof. Romāns Vanags, Artistic Director
INTERKULTUR Executive Committee
Dr. Christoph Wirtz, Secretary General
Organizer is the Förderverein INTERKULTUR e.V.
Lovely Lucca endears itself to everyone who visits. Hidden behind imposing Renaissance walls, its cobbled streets, handsome piazzas and shady promenades make it a perfect destination to explore by foot – and very easy to reach also from the nearby cities of Montecatini Terme, Pisa and Florence. At the day's end, historic cafes and restaurants tempt visitors to relax over a glass or two of Lucchesi wine and a slow progression of rustic dishes prepared with fresh produce from nearby Garfagnana.
We congratulate all singers to their great results! All in all 5 golden and 6 silver diplomas were awarded. Many thanks to all choirs and ensembles for participating!