"Thank you once again for organizing such a wonderful event. Above all my singers learned so much from being exposed to so many different cultures! I am sure that they will remember last weekend for many years to come. It has been an honor and privilege to participate in this festival."
Concorso Corale Internazionale
Lucca is a source of inspiration for choristers from all over the world: This city of art-historical significance in Tuscany gave birth to great musicians like Giacomo Puccini, Luigi Boccherini, Alfredo Catalani and Francesco Geminiani.
For four days the historic center of Lucca will host the new choir competition "Vox Lucensis" in spring 2020 and voices of choirs from all over the world will resonate in an enchanting affiliation of music and songs of different cultures. A great opportunity for artistic improvement and an experience to reverberate for a long time!
The Conservatory "Luigi Boccherini " and the church of San Paolino provide perfect conditions for competition categories of secular and sacred music as well as for pleasing evening concerts. Also the Auditorium of San Romano and other precious churches in the city will be available for concerts.
Apart from the choir competition you also have the chance to experience the rich culture and beauty of Tuscany. World famous cities like Pisa, Florence, Torre del Lago Puccini and Massa Carrara are just a stone’s throw away from Lucca.
This INTERKULTUR event provides you the opportunity to choose from the following options of participation:
|Non-competitive participation||Competitive participation|
|Festival participation||Competition categories|
- Category A – Difficulty Level I a cappella
- A1 – Mixed Choirs
- A2 – Equal Voices (Male and Female Choirs)
- Category B – Difficulty Level II
- B1 – Mixed Choirs
- B2 – Equal Voices (Male and Female Choirs)
- Category C – Chamber Choirs / Vocal Ensembles a cappella
- C1 – Mixed voices
- C2 – Equal voices (Male and Female Choirs)
- Category G – Children's Choir & Youth Choirs
- G1 – Children's Choirs
- G2 – Youth Choirs of equal voices
- G3 – Youth Choirs of mixed voices
- Category S – Sacred Choral Music a cappella
A detailed description of the competition categories can also be found in the booklet available for download:
Participant Information(1.5 MB)
Participating choirs may register to perform together with other international choirs. Choirs must prepare approximately 15 minutes of their own music pre-approved by the artistic committee. The concert should be preferably a cappella or with own instruments.
Choirs can also take part in friendship concerts only.
"Thanks for a wonderful well organized festival and competition, congratulations!"
"Thank you for the precious memories you offered to all the members of the choir."
The official registration deadline has passed on November 11, 2019
If you have not yet registered your choir for organizational reasons please contact us to discuss further details.
For the participation in this event the payment of the registration fee (per choir) as well as the event package (per person) is required. Choirs that come from a radius of up to 180 km around Lucca and therefore do not need an overnight stay, pay a participant fee (per person) instead of the event package. The prices of the event packages and the participant fee can be downloaded below or requested using our contact form.
To participate in the event the following registration fees have to be paid per choir/ensemble and category in addition to the costs for the event package:
- Festival participation*
- Per competition category*
friendship concert performance included
With the event package INTERKULTUR offers participants of its events a special service
We take care of all the details and through authorized agencies of the INTERKULTUR event series we offer an event package that includes, amongst others, accommodation in different hotel categories as well as other local services.
- Choirs that come from a radius of up to 180 km around Lucca and therefore do not need an overnight stay, pay a participant fee per person instead of the event package.
- The booking of the event packages which includes already the participant fee is required for all non-regional choirs.
The rates of the event packages vary according to 3 country groups. They based on the United Nations' Human Development Index (HDI) and adopted to the requirements of the national choral scenes.
Please select your country to see the event package and - for regional choirs - the participant fee for your participation:
Information about participation and competition rules
Participant Information(1.5 MB)
Please send the completed registration form via email to mail(at)interkultur.com. Additionally please print it, sign it and send it via post with the other registration documents to our office.
Registration Form(1 MB)
IMPORTANT: To open the form the current version of Adobe Reader is required. You can download it at www.adobe.com.
Dear friends of choral music,
the issue of visas generally takes a long time. Therefore please make sure to apply for your visa as soon as possible. It is in your own interest. In case you apply too late, you risk a rejection of your visa registration!
Please contact the embassy of the host country in your country to get detailed information what restrictions and regulations apply to you!
Please keep also in mind that you might need transit visas, depending on your itinerary to the competition country.
If you do not have a valid passport yet, please apply for this immediately!
Participants of some countries need an invitation letter as well as a stamped list of participants to apply for a visa. INTERKULTUR can issue these documents.
INTERKULTUR can issue the invitation letter for the duration of the event and can stamp your list of participants to apply for visas only if you have fulfilled all the following conditions:
- you have successfully applied for the event and paid the registration fee to INTERKULTUR
- you have paid the down payment for the event package to our partner agency M&C Music Contact GmbH
- you have sent us the completed list of participants (no handwriting!)
Please send the list only once and try to avoid changes of participants, as changes may delay the issue of your visa. We recommend adding 3 or 4 alternative names as a reserve for participants who may cancel the travel.
As soon as you have complied with those three conditions we will send the invitation letter including the confirmed list of participants by email and the original documents by airmail directly to the responsible person of the choir. This person shall bring the documents to the embassy personally.
Please keep in mind that if you comply with the conditions too late so that we have to send the original invitation letter per international express delivery, you have to take over the additional costs (approx. 100 – 300 EUR).
List of Participants
Please download the document, fill it in completely and send it to us as soon as possible.
To open the file the current version of Adobe Reader is required. You can download it at www.adobe.com.
You can send the file
- by sending an email, the list of participants attached, to visa(at)interkultur.com
- by printing it (after filling it in at your computer – no handwriting!) and sending it to us by fax (+49 6404 69749 29)
We assume no liability regarding the application and granting for visas. We do not offer this service but we gladly assist you when you apply for visa at the respective embassy in your country.
List of Participants(900 KB)
Join the INTERKULTUR newsletter
Saturday, April 4, 2020
- 16:30 Piazza San Michele square: Choir Parade through the town
- 17:00 San Martino Cathedral: Opening Concert
Sunday, April 5, 2020
- 10:30 San Paolino Church: Competition category S
- 15:00 Competition category A1
- 18:00 San Michele Church: Friendship Concert
- 20:00 San Paolino Church: “Triduum Sacrum – Responsoria” with Collegium Vocale et Instrumentale Nova Ars Cantandi & Dir. Giovanni Acciai
Monday, April 6, 2020
- 10:00 “Luigi Boccherini” Conservatory: Competition categories G1, G2
- 11:00 “Luigi Boccherini” Conservatory: Competition category C
- 12:00 "Luigi Boccherini” Conservatory: Friendship Concert
- 14:30 "Luigi Boccherini” Conservatory: Competition categories B1, B2
- 16:00 "Luigi Boccherini” Conservatory: Competition category G3
- 18:00 "Luigi Boccherini” Conservatory: Friendship Concert
- 18:00 San Pietro Somaldi Church: Friendship Concert
Tuesday, April 7, 2020
- 10:00 “Luigi Boccherini” Conservatory: Workshop with Sara Matteucci
- 11:00 Montecatini Terme - Sala Excelsior: Concert matinée
- 14:30 “Luigi Boccherini” Conservatory: Informal meeting jury and conductors
- 16:30 San Francesco Church: Closing concert and Awards Ceremony
Subject to change!
If you are interested in individual excursions please send an email to travel(at)interkultur.com.
In cooperation with
Associazione Coro Voci Bianche Cappella Santa Cecilia di Lucca
Municipality of Lucca
ACT – Associazione Cori della Toscana
Günter Titsch (Germany)
Artistic Directors of VOX LUCENSIS 2020
M° Giovanni Acciai (Italy)
M° Sara Matteucci (Italy)
Artistic Committee INTERKULTUR
Prof. Dr. Ralf Eisenbeiß (Germany), Senior Artistic Director
Johan Rooze (Netherlands), Artistic Director
Fred Sjöberg (Sweden), Artistic Director
Assoc. Prof. Romāns Vanags (Latvia), Artistic Director
INTERKULTUR Executive Committee
Günter Titsch (Germany)
Qin Wang (China)
Stefan Bohländer (Germany)
Dr. Christoph Wirtz (Germany), Secretary General
Organizer is the INTERKULTUR Management GmbH.
Lovely Lucca endears itself to everyone who visits. Hidden behind imposing Renaissance walls, its cobbled streets, handsome piazzas and shady promenades make it a perfect destination to explore by foot – and very easy to reach also from the nearby cities of Montecatini Terme, Pisa and Florence. At the day's end, historic cafes and restaurants tempt visitors to relax over a glass or two of Lucchesi wine and a slow progression of rustic dishes prepared with fresh produce from nearby Garfagnana.