Christ Church Cathedral of Cincinnati is a cathedral church of the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Ohio. It was founded in 1817 by William Henry Harrison, ninth President of the United States, Dr. Daniel Drake, a great pioneer physician, and other early settlers of Cincinnati. In 1994, the church vestry approved the largest renovation project in the history of Christ Church. This renovation reached beyond the sanctuary to the entire church complex and Parish House, providing complete accessibility while updating heating, cooling and electrical systems.
The Christ Church Cathedral organ is one of the last – and largest – to be built by Walter Holtkamp, Sr., a leading figure in the mid-20th century American organ reform movement. The organ contains 54 stops in five divisions over three manuals and a pedal board, plus horizontal trumpet in the Spanish style, totaling roughly 4,000 pipes. Recently a zimbelstern, or “bell star” was added to the instrument.